A. President Mary Carlisle called the meeting to order at 10:45 AM.
a. Minutes taken by Recording Secretary, Debi Fairchild.
b. Oscar Pena made a motion to approve the minutes of the February 14, 2009 meeting. Motion seconded by Donny Wankan.
a. Treasurer's Report: February 1 to February 28, 2009. Beginning Balance- $1.737.15, February 1, 2009; Ending Balance-$1694.60, February 28, 2009
1. Oscar Pena is the new host for the Webster Barnes & Noble Poetry Reading Series, fourth Tuesday of each month at 7pm. John Gorman, guest speaker in April.
2. Lynne Streeter and Becky Ellisor, president of BAWL, April guest speakers for the Seabrook Coffee Oasis. (First Monday of each month, 7:00 PM.)
3. Andrea and Luis Vazquez began a Hispanic Poetry Group to meet at the Freeman Library (Third Monday of every month. 7:00 PM.)
4. In April, the Poetry Reading Group led by Donny Wankan provides free copies of Poetry Magazine to attendees of the group. First meeting held at the Freeman Library from 7:00 to 9:00 PM.
5. The Friendswood Public Library presents an evening of poetry featuring Rebecca Hatcher. Wednesday, April 22 at 7:00 PM.
6. UH-Clear Lake Poetry Reading Series is open to the public to read or listen. It will be held at the Cappuccino Bono, from 5:00 to 6:30 PM. Next reading, May 6.
C. Scheduled meetings and speakers: April 25: Alvin Community College Writers Conference, May 9: Carolyn Luke Reading, June 12: Susan Bright.
a. Gulf Coast Poets Contests-Deadline April 25
b. Nimrod International Journal-Deadline April 30. (Support your poetry groups by entering contests. You can't win unless you enter.)
E. Meeting Prizes Many prizes were given away, including books by Marie Delgado Travis, which she signed.
F. Speaker: Marie Delgado Travis read her wonderful poetry. If you didn't attend you missed a great meeting.
G. Read-A-Round Poems:
a. Oscar Pena (Billy Collins poem- Introduction to Poetry)
b. Regina Parkinson (Moon Shells)
c. Mary Ann Goodwin (Come)
d. Andrien LaBarrbarde - guest - (Damn Sword of Damning)
e. Kay Cox (Thunder Thighs)
f. Donny Wankan (Holy Places)
H. Meeting adjourned at 11:58. Lunch afterward at Zios.